Friday, May 20, 2011

Not "Letting it Mellow" - and Other Social Rules


If you know me, you know that I am very interested in the unspoken rules of society. Also the spoken rules of society. I'm not talking about things like how the po-lice make me wear a seat belt (DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!) I'm talking about the little things we all do (or don't do) that make the world go 'round.
I'd like to touch, again, on some of these things:

1. When you are in an elevator with one or more strangers, you don't talk. Ok? You don't talk in an elevator. Unless something amazing happens inside that elevator (a loud electronic noise, to which you look at each other and exclaim, "Uh oh! hahaha!! That didn't sound too good!" etc.).

The other day, a bunch of us from my office were in the same elevator. A Purolator delivery man got on last... and stood facing us. ..... umm... yeah, you don't do that. You DO NOT, for ANY reason, face the back of an elevator. So after he got off, I said to my co-workers, "Whoa... haha .. that was weird." And they said "What was?" And I said, "uhh...Well, that guy stood facing us in the elevator. You're not supposed to do that. It's kind of insane." And they said, AND I QUOTE, "Oh. I didn't think it was weird.", "I didn't even notice." !!!! What??? I don't know what's weirder - facing everyone in an elevator, or not noticing the one person who's doing it.





2. Not flushing in a public bathroom. Hey, what you do in your own home is your own biznez. I won't go there (No, really, I've never been invited :{ ).. However, I really have to wonder about the people who walk into a public bathroom, take a huge dump, and then get up and walk out of the stall, leaving their goods behind them without flushing. They walk to the sink, smile, and slowly wash their gross hands.
 

I understand that sometimes toilets plug, and there's no plunger, so your only choice is to cringe and run to the sink before anyone knows it was you. Hahahah. BUT. There's no way there are that many plugged toilets in Edmonton. Why don't people flush!!!?? ughhh. A day old kitten would have more sense than that!!! ... well, a 3 week old kitten, when their smart little brains get potty trained. :D :D :D


2b. Related - I saw this sticker in a public bathroom this week:



"If it's Yellow, Let it Mellow." Yes, the old saying "If it's Yellow, Let it Mellow... If it's Brown, Flush it Down." When I was little, a friend of mine's Grandma had this plaque up in her guest bathroom. It was a piece of nice fancy mahogany wood with cute painted letters. It hung over top of the toilet. Even as a 7 year old, I thought "Ewwwwwwww. How perfectly uncouth." (I had a really good vocabulary.) So in this bathroom at the University of Alberta, there was this sticker.

May I just say that in a public bathroom, no matter what color is coming out of you, YOU FLUSH IT.

There should be no letting anything mellow.

1 comment:

  1. Hahah!

    We have that plaque at the cabin...

    I hate peeing on other peoples' pee.

    ~Hayley

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget